[Python-Dev] New uriparse.py

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Apr 2 19:55:10 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Paul Jimenez wrote:
>> Announcing uriparse.py, submitted for inclusion in the standard library.
>> Patch request 1462525.
[...]
> abstractions"; however, this didn't mean anything to me. Saying
> "urlparse doesn't comply with STD66  (aka RFC3986) because
> it hard-codes URI schemes, instead of applying the same
> syntax to all of them"  is something I would have understood
> as a problem.

Evidently Paul quickly realised that back at the time of the original
thread: hence the lack of posts from Paul protesting at Guido & Mike
Brown's explanations, and the appearance now of this nice module :-)

> So in short: are you willing to write documentation for this?
> The rationale section could either go into the urllib documentation
> (pointing out that particular problem, and referring to urilib
> as an improvement)

Currently of course we have both the functions in urllib, plus module
urlparse.  This module is roughly a replacement for urlparse.  Probably if
this module is accepted (after a few changes, no doubt) the urllib
functions should then be deprecated (which would probably trigger adding a
few more functions to the new module).  I guess module urlparse would also
be deprecated.

I have a list of concrete and mostly easily-resolved problems with the
module (including not liking the name).  I also suspect there are issues
related to unicode, %-encoding &c. exist which should be resolved before
including this in the stdlib; I won't comment further on that until I've
read the relevant RFCs.  I've posted detailed comments on the tracker.

John