[Python-Dev] reference leaks, __del__, and annotations

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 10:01:31 CEST 2006

On 4/3/06, Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote:
> Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
>
> > Michael Hudson wrote:
> >
> >> And if we want to have a version of __del__ that can't reference
> >> 'self', we have it already: weakrefs with callbacks.
> >
> > Does that actually work at the moment? Last I heard,
> > there was some issue with gc and weakref callbacks
> > as well. Has that been resolved?
>
> Talk about FUD.  Yes, it works, as far as I know.

Not sure if everyone is talking about the same thing.  This is still a
problem (at least for me):
http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Lib/test/crashers/weakref_in_del.py

It creates a weakref to self in __del__.

There are 7 crashers, plus 5 more due to infinite recursion. :-(  That
doesn't include the parts of test_trace that are commented out.  At
least test_trace needs to be fixed prior to 2.5.