[Python-Dev] Renaming sqlite3

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Apr 4 10:32:03 CEST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> But if you make the change to implement option 3, IMO it would be a
>>  good idea to add the Python version number to the .pyd basename as
>>  well.
>
> Can you please elaborate? In the name of what .pyd file do you want
> the Python version number? And why?

Since on Windows binary extensions have to be compiled for the exact
major version of Python, it seems logical (to me, at least), to include
that version number into the filename.  Say, _socket25.pyd.

> And why is that related to not supporting extensions with .DLL names
> anymore?

IMO changing that would require a PEP (but I may be wrong), and this is only
another idea which should be considered when writing or discussing that.
If you don't like the idea, or don't see any advantages in this, I retract the
request.