[Python-Dev] elementtree in stdlib

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Fri Apr 7 10:54:39 CEST 2006

On 4/7/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Trent Mick wrote:
>
> >     try:
> >         import xml.etree.ElementTree as ET # in python >=2.5
> >     except ImportError:
> >        ... etc ad nauseam
>
> For situations like this I've thought it might
> be handy to be able to say
>
>    import xml.etree.ElementTree or cElementTree or \
>      elementtree.ElementTree or lxml.etree as ET

That does look cute (note that you can use parentheses rather than
newline-escaping to continue the line.) I assume it should come with:

from (xml.etree.cElementTree or xml.etree.ElementTree or
        elementtree.cElementTree or elementtree.ElementTree or
        lxml.etree) import ElementTree as ET

(Parentheses there are currently illegal.)

But should it also come with:

from xml.etree import (cElementTree or ElementTree) as ElementTree

and combined:

from xml.etree or elementtree import cElementTree or ElementTree as
ElementTree

and of course combined with explicit-relative imports:

from .custometree or xml.etree or elementtree import cElementTree or
ElementTree as ET

or is that all going too far? :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>