[Python-Dev] PEP 359: The "make" Statement

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 13 18:40:34 CEST 2006

Steven Bethard wrote:
> I know 2.5's not out yet, but since I now have a PEP number, I'm going
> to go ahead and post this for discussion.  Currently, the target
> version is Python 2.6.  You can also see the PEP at:
>     http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0359/
>
> Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Interesting!

Sometimes, people want the ability to refer to the namespace already
in the block, or have the namespace "control" execution of the block.

For example, sometimes people what to get the class object while the
class is being defined. It's not there yet, of course.

In other cases (also properties) they want the name to be bound
not the one of the get method, but instead the name of the property
(of course, the make statement solves this problem already in a
different way).

Would it be possible/useful to have a pre-block hook to the callable,
which would provide the dictionary; this dictionary might not be
a proper dictionary (but only some mapping), or it might be pre-initialized.

Regards,
Martin