[Python-Dev] Procedure for sandbox branches in SVN?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 06:37:03 CEST 2006

[Phillip J. Eby]
> I'd like to create a branch for maintaining the setuptools 0.6 line through
> its beta and final release, while new work proceeds on the trunk for
> integration with Python 2.5 and beginning the 0.7 line.  Is there any
> special procedure I should follow, or can I just make a 'setuptools-0.6'
> branch under sandbox/branches?

Just do it.  Branches under SVN are cheap, go fast, and are pretty
easy to work with.  Even better, because a branch is just another
named directory in SVN's virtual file system, you can "svn remove" it
when you're done with it (just like any other directory).

BTW, if you're not already familiar with it, read about the
`--stop-on-copy` option to SVN's `log` command.