[Python-Dev] setuptools in the stdlib

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Wed Apr 19 01:08:07 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 19:00, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
 > He then mentioned it in his 2.5 slideshow at PyCon.  This is the first
 > anyone's objected to it, however, at least that I'm aware of.

Until the past week, I wasn't aware it was being considered.  But then, I've
not been paying a lot of attention lately, so I suspect that's my fault.

 > The setuptools manual is currently at:
 >
 >      http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools
 >
 > pending conversion to the standard Pythondoc format.  I posted earlier
 > today asking about how it, and the other related manuals should be
 > included in the overall Python documentation structure:

Saw that; hopefully I'll have a chance to look at it soon.  I wonder,
generally, if it should be merged into the distutils documentation.  Those
documents happen to be distutils-centric now, because that's what's been
provided.  Their titles should be the guide to their content, however.

 > So, I'm not too pleased by insinuations that setuptools is anything other
 > than a Python community project.

I've no doubt about that at all, FWIW.  I think you've put a lot of effort
into discussing it with the community, and applaud you for that as well as
your implementation efforts.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>