[Python-Dev] Raising objections (was: setuptools in the stdlib)

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Apr 19 06:57:19 CEST 2006

I'm not sure how people would prefer this be handled. I don't think we
need to have a PEP for it - I don't see PEPs for ctypes, elementtree,
pysqlite or cProfile, either.

I don't have a problem at all with setuptools going into the standard
library. It adds a whole pile of extremely useful functionality
(easy_install, in particular, is something that people have been
asking for, constantly, for YEARS). Making it an additional install
is just silly.

Sure, it's possible that some people with extremely complicated
distutils scripts may find they need to update them. But the
alternative to that is complete paralysis - and I can't say that the
current state of distutils is at all something to make Python happy.

I started refactoring some of the ugliness out of the internals of
distutils last year, but was completely stymied by the demand that no
existing setup.py scripts be broken. This means that the people who
are experts with the current code are fine, but everyone else has to
pay the price.