[Python-Dev] Raising objections (was: setuptools in the stdlib)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Apr 19 09:20:33 CEST 2006

At 08:51 AM 4/19/2006 +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>do you expect linux and bsd packagers to switch to your stuff for all their
>python needs,

Heck no, which is why setuptools tries hard to be compatible with bdist_*
commands.  As long as they use --root or
--single-version-externally-managed, setuptools should play nice with them.

>or are you building a parallel universe ?  if so, why ?

Many Python users are unable to use existing packaging systems - if for
example they're not root, or their platform doesn't have one (Windows and Mac).

People developing Python applications often need to switch between
different versions of Python packages, and manage what packages are
distributed with their application, while sometimes using bleeding edge
versions.  They can't use a system packaging tool either.

People distributing Python libraries don't want to have to build packages
for each and every Linux flavor, plus BSDs and other platforms.

People creating extensible applications and frameworks (Zope, TurboGears,
Chandler, Trac, ...) can't use system packagers to install and manage their
plugins, or the libraries used by their plugins, especially if they're
end-user applications or are run in shared hosting space.

And there are probably other reasons that are escaping me at the
moment.  Mainly, though, setuptools offers developers relief from having to
support myriad packaging systems in order to be able to depend on other
Python packages.  They specify their dependencies in terms of PyPI, not in
terms of distribution X's name for a system package that installs that
facility.  That and plugin support are setuptools' core raison d'etre.