[Python-Dev] 3rd party extensions hot-fixing the stdlib (setuptools in the stdlib)

Michael Urman murman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 05:08:00 CEST 2006

On 4/19/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> People blame setuptools when pydoc doesn't work on packages in zip
> files.  Rather than refer to some theoretical argument why it's not my
> fault and I shouldn't be the one to fix it, I prefer to fix the problem.

So rather than extract the zip at install time (something purely
within setuptool's domain), you found modifying pydoc's behavior to be
a more compelling story. Are you aware that zipimport fails on 64-bit
systems in Python 2.3, or do you plan to patch over that as well?

Michael
--
Michael Urman  http://www.tortall.net/mu/blog