[Python-Dev] Distutils for Python 2.1 (was "Raising objections")

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Apr 20 15:40:29 CEST 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:33:30AM +0100, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is mixed in with some stuff that isn't part of
> distutils' "core competency", like text utilities, process spawning,
> and option parsing. These should (eventually, when the 2.1
> compatibility requirement is lifted) be refactored to use (or be
> merged into) the available stdlib facilities for such functionaliy.

The 2.1 requirement was originally imposed because Greg Ward would
make standalone Distutil releases.  Greg is too busy working at his
job, going camping on weekends, and being best man [1] to make new
releases these days.  I don't see anyone else wanting to make new
releases, so Distutils can be like the rest of the stdlib: it'll only
be guaranteed to work with the Python version it's shipped with, and
can therefore use new modules.

I can remove the comment from the PEP if no one objects.

--amk

[1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/airynothing/53483215/