[Python-Dev] magic in setuptools (Was: setuptools in the stdlib)

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Apr 20 22:45:59 CEST 2006

On 20-apr-2006, at 21:53, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> However, this isn't really my objection to .egg files. I dislike them
> because they compete with platform packages: .rpm, .msi, .deb.

As far as I understand the issues they compete up to a point, but should
also make it easier to create platform packages that contain proper the
proper dependencies because those are part of machine-readable meta-data
instead of being written down in readme files. Oddly enough that was
also the objection from one linux distribution maintainer: somehow his
opinion was that the author of a package couldn't possibly know the
right depedencies for it.

As for platform packages: not all platforms have useable packaging
systems.
MacOSX is one example of those, the system packager is an installer and
doesn't include an uninstaller. Eggs make it a lot easier to manage
python
software in such an environment (and please don't point me to Fink or
DarwinPorts on OSX, those have serious problems of their own).

> Package
> authors will refuse to produce them, putting the burden of package
> maintenance (what packages are installed, what are their dependencies,
> when should I remove a package) onto the the end user/system
> administrator.

Philip has added specific support for them: it is possible to install
packages in the tradition way but with some additional files that tell
setuptools about installed packages. Maybe 'python setup.py install'
should
default to installing in that mode (as someone else already suggest),
with
either on option or a seperate command to install as eggs.

Ronald