[Python-Dev] setuptools in 2.5.

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Apr 21 06:20:32 CEST 2006

Thanks for all the great information Phillip.

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 23:33 -0400, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> Anyway, that's a complete digression from the question you asked.  As long
> as Mailman doesn't depend on building something like Numeric or Twisted,
> you can probably wrap it in easy_install.  If it's not something that uses
> C code, you can just prebuild cross-platform eggs using easy_install.  If
> it uses C code, you'd be able to build it on the target system.
>
> I don't know what Python versions you support, though, and setuptools only
> goes back to Python 2.3.  (Gotta give Google *some* incentive to
> upgrade..  ;)  Although seriously it's because zipimport came in as of 2.3.)

For now, we won't change anything for Mailman 2.1, which supports back
to Python 2.1, but that's getting more painful by the day. ;)

For Mailman 2.2, we'll require a minimum of Python 2.3 (I wish I could
set that at 2.4 but too many distros/OSes do not yet provide 2.4 that
that is infeasible).  And at the moment the only requirement is the
email package, and I know who to bug about that one <wink>.

It's very possible we'll require one of the popular templating packages,
and maybe other external packages, although I don't think Twisted itself
will be needed (perhaps for the mythical Mailman 3).  Only Tim would
want Numeric in Mailman though as I've heard that he calculates the
optimum South Park watching time based on some complex algorithm
involving the email he receives.  He's explained it to me several times,
but I'm too dumb to get it.

-Barry