[Python-Dev] setuptools in 2.5.

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 19:44:15 CEST 2006

On 4/21/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 12:51 PM 4/21/2006 -0400, Jim Jewett wrote:
> >Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> > > As for --install-data
> > > ... one of the pre-existing distutils extensions ...

> > Use of a third-party extension (that isn't mentioned
> > in the docs [2.3]) is hardly intuitive.

> >   If it is really required, that is far more
> >intrusive than the stdlib changes setuptools makes.

> [Request for clarification]

If I were developing under 2.3, having to install a 3rd-party tool to
make distutils work is no better than installing setuptools, even with
its changes to the stdlib -- and considerably worse, since setuptools
is at least a blessed extension.

Even if I'm developing mostly with 2.5, I'm reluctant to require that
my users install more than they need to.  I don't like that setuptools
is needed, and changes their system defaults -- but that is still
better than doing the same thing with a random third-party extension.

-jJ