[Python-Dev] Why are contexts also managers? (was r45544 -peps/trunk/pep-0343.txt)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 14:26:01 CEST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> Nick, please get unstuck on the "who said what when and who wasn't
>> listening" thing.

Sorry about that. I was just trying to figure out how we got to where we are.
I stopped paying close attention to PEP 343 developments a few months back,
and ended up catching up out loud here on the list. . .

> I want this to be resolved to use the clearest
>> terminology possible.

I'm planning to have one go at it before next week's 2nd alpha (making sure
the source code, library reference, language reference and PEP are all at
least superficially consistent), and then asking Anthony to include something
in the 2nd alpha announcement explicitly requesting review of these docs.

As Phillip pointed out, we need input from people that haven't been intimately
involved in the PEP 343 discussions to see if the final docs actually make
sense. As I discovered in reviewing the contextlib docs, it turned out to be
awfully easy for me to see what I expected to see rather than what was
actually there.

> which probably means that the words "context" and "manager" shouldn't
> be used at all ;-)
>
> "space" and "potato", perhaps?
>
> like in http://tinyurl.com/k5spk ?

That's beautiful. It even matches the PEP [1] :)

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/pc5uq