[Python-Dev] setuptools: past, present, future

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Apr 22 17:07:40 CEST 2006

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
[...]
>> Python sorely lacks; but I've also heard from more than one person
>> that CPAN sucks from a quality perspective. So I think we shouldn't
[...]
> (as for the CPAN quality, any public repository will end up being full
> of crap; I don't see any way to work around that.  automatic scoring
[...]

I had assumed Guido was referring to the quality of the infrastructure,
including CPAN.pm, rather than the quality of the code stored in CPAN.

I've certainly heard at least two people complain about the usability and
reliability of the CPAN infrastructure recently, and recall I found it
rather unfriendly myself.  But that was around 5 years ago; I may simply
be wrong or out of date.

John