[Python-Dev] PEP 343 update (with statement context terminology)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 18:53:12 CEST 2006

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> For those not following along at home, I've now updated PEP 343 to clarify my
> originally intended meanings for various terms, and to record the fact that we
> don't currently have a consensus on python-dev that those are the right
> definitions.
>
> As written up in the PEP, I plan to propagate those interpretations throughout
> the documentation and implementation for 2.5a2, so we have at least one
> release using my original vision to see if the terminology actually all hangs
> together sensibly the way I believe it does :)

Aside from the What's New document, this has now been done. My modifications
consisted of terminology changes in the contextlib docs and the language
reference to match the 2.5a1 implementation, a Context Types addition to the
library reference similar to that for Iterator Types, and a very brief
addition to Chapter 8 of the tutorial. It should all filter through the
pipeline and appear on python.org in the next few hours.

I also looked at the threading and decimal module documentation, but those
didn't need any changes - they were correct regardless of which interpretation
you applied to the previously ambiguous section in PEP 343.

It's up to AMK to decide what he wants to do with What's New for alpha 2.

Cheers,
Nick.