[Python-Dev] windows buildbot failures

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Sun Apr 23 14:31:42 CEST 2006

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Andrew MacIntyre]

Hmm...  I don't appear to have explained what I meant very well :-|

{...}

> This really needs an executable example.  Here's my best guess about
> what you mean, but I don't see any of what you're describing on WinXP
> Pro SP2:

And a pretty good guess it was too!

Although I hadn't expected/intended any research to be applied to my note
(except if the original problem involved undeletable files on the
buildbots), I'm relieved your experiment turned up no problem; it makes
the case stronger against something in the local setup.

FWIW, the particular cases I remember seeing involved applications built
with ctypes and Venster (Win32 GUI wrapper over ctypes) with a lot of
COM calls, with Python 2.2.3.

>> I've never reported this as a Python bug
>
> If you do, I'll probably add a comment like the above ;-)

;-)

>> because I've considered the antivirus SW likely to be the culprit.
>
> Could be.  FWIW, Norton AV was running during the above.

The anti-virus on my work XP Pro SP2 system has been a source of
considerable annoyance in many situations, so its the first thing
I blame...

>> I don't recall seeing this with Windows 2000, but much was changed
>> in the transition from the Win2k SOE to the WinXP SOE.
>
> What's that?  Shitty Out-of-box Experience ;-)?

That too!  Our outsourced IT supplier seems to think it means Standard
Operating Environment, but I haven't figured out what's "standard" about
it...

Cheers,
Andrew.