[Python-Dev] PEP 343 update (with statement context terminology)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Apr 24 16:18:23 CEST 2006

At 10:26 AM 4/24/2006 +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
>OK. At this point, the discussion seems to have mutated from a
>"Phillip vs Nick" debate to a "Paul vs Nick" debate.

I only stepped aside so that other people would chime in.  I still don't
think the new terminology makes anything clearer, and would rather see
tweaks to address the one minor issue of @contextmanager producing an
object that's also a context than a complete reworking of the
documentation.  That was the only thing that was unclear in the a1
terminology and docs, and it's an extremely minor point that could easily
be addressed.

Throwing away an intuitive terminology because of a minor implementation
issue in favor of a non-intutitive terminology that happens to be
super-precise seems penny-wise and pound-foolish to me.