[Python-Dev] Visual studio 2005 express now free

Alex Martelli aleaxit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 16:53:09 CEST 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 12:19 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> - Paul Moore has contributed a Python build procedure for the
>>   free version of the 2003 compiler. This one is without IDE,
>>   but still, it should allow people without a VS 2003 license
>>   to work on Python itself; it should also be possible to develop
>>   extensions with that compiler (although I haven't verified
>>   that distutils would pick that up correctly).
>
> Apparently, the status of this changed right now: it seems that
> the 2003 compiler is not available anymore; the page now says
> that it was replaced with the 2005 compiler.
>
> Should we reconsider?

Personally, being a cheapskate, and with Windows only my tertiary
system, I'm in favor of anything that makes it simpler and/or cheaper
for people to work on Python and extensions.  However, by the same
token I cannot really gauge how stable and solid VS 2005 is -- if as
current Windows experts you think it's still inferior to VS 2003,
then that's a very big point against it.

Alex