[Python-Dev] Visual studio 2005 express now free

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Apr 25 14:22:27 CEST 2006

"Neil Hodgson" <nyamatongwe at gmail.com> writes:

> Martin v. Löwis:
>
>> Apparently, the status of this changed right now: it seems that
>> the 2003 compiler is not available anymore; the page now says
>> that it was replaced with the 2005 compiler.
>>
>> Should we reconsider?
>
>    I expect Microsoft means that Visual Studio Express will be
> available free forever, not that you will always be able to download
> Visual Studio 2005 Express.

I don't think that's what Herb Sutter said in his ACCU keynote, which
is where I'm pretty sure Guido got his information at the start of
this thread (he was there too and the email appeared soon after).  If
I remember right, he said that 2005 was free, forever, and they'd
think about later versions.  I may be misremembering, and I certainly
haven't read any official stuff from Microsoft...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I also feel it essential to note, [...], that Description Logics,
  non-Monotonic Logics, Default Logics and Circumscription Logics