[Python-Dev] SoC proposal: "fix some old, old bugs in sourceforge"

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 16:15:11 CEST 2006

Terry Reedy wrote:
>> My unglamorous proposal is to review bugs & patches (starting with the
>> oldest) and resolve at least 200 of them.
> Funny, and nice!, that you should propose this.  I thought of adding
> something like this to the Python wiki as something I might mentor, but
> hesitated because reviewing *is* not  glamourous, because Google wants
> code-writing projects, and because I am not one to mentor C code writing.
I suppose the "new code" emphasis may make writing a proposal to fix
bugs an exercise in futility. :)  I'll submit it anyway, since I don't
have any new whiz-bang  features/applications/frameworks that I think
deserve to be inflicted upon anybody.
> The thing I worry about, besides you or whoever getting too bored after a
> week, is that a batch of 50-100 nice new patches could then sit unreviewed
> on the patch tracker along with those already there.
Although I didn't state it explicitly, my intention was to push each
item to completion, so that at the end bug+patch is closed with new code
checked into svn.  Since I should probably restrict the proposal to
fixing things that actually require new code to be written (assuming
closing out bogus/inappropriate bugs doesn't meet Google's expectations
for SoC), I'll revise my number down to the 25-75 range so that there's
time to make sure they're actually completed.