[Python-Dev] what do you like about other trackers and what doyouhate about SF?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Apr 26 02:50:30 CEST 2006

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote in message
news:e2matq$kr$1 at sea.gmane.org...
> The most useful thing I can think of is to be able to tag each item by
> the doc section (lang ref, lib ref, tut, pep) most applicable to the item
> and then be able to sort tracker items (on any of the lists, possibly) by
> such tags or be able to extract all tracker items, or all open tracker
> items, for a particular section.

In thinking some more, I realized that the *basic problem* is that the SF
bug tracker is a mostly-closed, fixed-design, shared DB application with
data access restricted to the canned interface.

What I therefore think we need is an extensible application (preferably
open-source) written on top of an rdbms (ditto).  We should be able to add
fields, tables, reports, and scripts.  We should be able to write the
latter in Python using the standard DB API.  If necessary, we should be
able to add the interface if not already existent.

I think being able to access *our* data and do whatever we want with it is,
in the long run, more important than any specific list of canned features.
My first post, quoted above, illustrates the sort of Python-specific
feature that I would not expect to find exactly built in to any tracker but
which we could add with the flexibility that is my real wish.

Terry Jan Reedy