[Python-Dev] big-memory tests

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Wed Apr 26 11:44:01 CEST 2006

Neal and I wrote a few tests that exercise the Py_ssize_t code on 64bit
hardware:

http://python.org/sf/1471578

Now that it's configurable and integrated with test_support and all, we
think it's time to include it in the normal testsuite. I'd really like it to
be in one of the next alphas, so people with an interest in insane-sized
objects (and insane memory in their hardware) can run the tests, and
(hopefully) add more. The tests that are there passed on AMD64 with 16Gb of
RAM (although the tests that took 48Gb, and thus a ton of swap, took
literally days to run,) but there are still many potential tests to add.

I still want to add some 'find memory requirements for bigmem tests' and
maybe 'run only bigmem tests' code to regrtest, and the bigmemtest decorator
should be moved to test_support so we can intersperse bigmem tests with
regular tests (say, in test_mmap.) But other than that, anyone object to
committing this to the trunk (not sandbox)? The tests *are* run by default,
but only with very small limits (so they'll use less memory than most of the
tests), to make sure the tests do function.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!