[Python-Dev] Dropping __init__.py requirement for subpackages

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Wed Apr 26 23:12:01 CEST 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 4:49 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> OK, forget it. I'll face the pitchforks.
>
> I'm disappointed though -- it sounds like we can never change anything
> about Python any more because it will upset the oldtimers.

No, you can not make a change which has a tiny (and arguably
negative) advantage but large compatibility risks. Like it or not,
Python is a stable, widely deployed program. Making almost arbitrary
sideways changes is not something you can do to such a system without
a lot of pushback. Breaking things requires (and *should* require)
well thought out reasoning as to why the new way is actually better
enough to justify the breakage.

James