[Python-Dev] Dropping __init__.py requirement for subpackages

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Thu Apr 27 16:39:15 CEST 2006

On 4/27/06, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:

> Alrighty then. The list has about 12 hours to convince me (and you) that
> it's a bad idea to generate that warning. I'll be asleep by the time the
> trunk un-freezes, and I have a string of early meetings tomorrow. I'll get
> to it somewhere in the afternoon :)

I could check it in, except the make-testall I ran overnight showed a small
problem: the patch would generate a number of spurious warnings in the
trunk:

/home/thomas/python/python/trunk/Lib/gzip.py:9: ImportWarning: Not importing
directory '/home/thomas/python/python/trunk/Modules/zlib': missing
__init__.py

/home/thomas/python/python/trunk/Lib/ctypes/__init__.py:8: ImportWarning:
Not importing directory '/home/thomas/python/python/trunk/Modules/_ctypes':
missing __init__.py

(and a few more zlib ones.) The reason for that is that ./Modules is added
to the import path, by a non-installed Python. This is because of the
pre-distutils Modules/Setup-style build method of modules (which is still
sometimes used.) I can't find where Modules is added to sys.path, though,
even if I wanted to remove it :)

So, do we:
 a) forget about the warning because of the layout of the svn tree (bad,
imho)
 2) rename Modules/zlib and Modules/_ctypes to avoid the warning
(inconvenient, but I don't know how inconvenient)
 - fix the build procedure so Modules isn't added to sys.path unless it
absolutely has to (which is only very rarely the case, I believe)
 or lastly, make regrtest.py ignore those specific warnings?

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!