[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] Python Regression Test Failures refleak (1)

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 07:21:32 CEST 2006

[Neal Norwitz]
> I have disabled the leak warning for:
>
> LEAKY_TESTS="test_(cmd_line|ctypes|filecmp|socket|threadedtempfile|threading|urllib2)
>
> This is an attempt to reduce the spam.  Would people rather me reduce
> this list so we can try to find the problems?  The test runs 2 times
> per day.  Sometimes it gets stuck.  But the most you should ever
> receive is 2 mails a day.

I see so much email that 100/day more or less from any particular
source wouldn't be noticed.

It's possible that increasing the repetition count for _some_ of these
tests would make them easier to understand.  For example,
test_cmd_line settles into a very regular pattern on my box when run
more often:

C:\Code\python\PCbuild>python_d  -E -tt ../lib/test/regrtest.py -R:20:
test_cmd_line
test_cmd_line
beginning 25 repetitions
1234567890123456789012345
test_cmd_line leaked [36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36,
36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36, 36] references
1 test OK.

IOW, after 5 "warmup " runs, each of the 20 following runs leaked 36
refs.  That may be unique to Windows (especially since all the leaks
here are due to the tests that call CmdLineTest.exit_code()).