[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r45770 - in python/trunk:

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 15:20:46 CEST 2006

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 01:13:21AM +0200, thomas.wouters wrote:
>>  - Warn-raise ImportWarning when importing would have picked up a directory
>>    as package, if only it'd had an __init__.py. This swaps two tests (for
>>    case-ness and __init__-ness), but case-test is not really more expensive,
>>    and it's not in a speed-critical section.
>
> For the what's new, I'd like to clarify the purpose of this change.
> Is the plan to make __init__.py optional in subpackages in 2.6, and
> this warning is a first step toward that?  Or is this just to improve
> the error reporting when a directory lacking an __init__.py is found,
> and no further changes will be in 2.6?

I think it's hard to say because that thread moved so fast :)

FWIW, my interpretation was that there was some degree of consensus that
better error reporting for this situation was a good thing, but Guido still
has a bit of persuading to do if he wants to make an empty __init__.py
optional in subpackages for Python 2.6.

So the relatively non-controversial bit (improving the error reporting) was
added immediately, and the controversial bit postponed to see if the better
error reporting had any effect on the demand for it.

Cheers,
Nick.