[Python-Dev] PEP 3102: Keyword-only arguments

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Sun Apr 30 10:59:47 CEST 2006

On 4/30/06, Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/29/06, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
> >      This PEP proposes a change to the way that function arguments are
> >      assigned to named parameter slots.  In particular, it enables the
> >      declaration of "keyword-only" arguments: arguments that can only
> >      be supplied by keyword and which will never be automatically
> >      filled in by a positional argument.
>
> +1.  And I suggest this be re-targeted for Python 2.6.  Now all we
> need is someone to implement this. ;-)

Pfft, implementation is easy. I have the impression Talin wants to implement
it himself, but even if he doesn't, I'm sure I'll have a free week somewhere
in the next year and a half in which I can implement it :) It's not that
hard a problem, it just requires a lot of reading of the AST and
function-call code (if you haven't read it already.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!