[Python-Dev] windows 2.5 build: use OpenSSL for hashlib [bug 1535502]

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Aug 7 15:16:22 CEST 2006

Gregory P. Smith schrieb:
> Whoever knows how the windows build process works and controls the
> python 2.5 windows release builds could you please make sure the
> hashlib module gets built + linked with OpenSSL rather than falling
> back to its much slower builtin implementations.

If the project files are changed in that direction, then my build will
pick that up automatically. I can't promise to change the files myself.

I'm somewhat worried about yet another size increase in pythonxy.dll
(actually, I'm personally not worried, but I anticipate complaints about
 such a change).

What should happen to the existing sha* modules?

I believe that the performance of the OpenSSL routines depends on
the way OpenSSL was built, e.g. whether the assembler implementations
are used or not. Somebody would have to check, but I doubt they are.

So in short: I'm very doubtful that such a change can still be made,
and if it is, that it will be "right". I'm accepting patches
regardless.

Regards,
Martin