[Python-Dev] windows 2.5 build: use OpenSSL for hashlib [bug 1535502]

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 8 02:23:02 CEST 2006

Gregory P. Smith schrieb:
> Sigh.  Half the reason I did the hashlib work was to get much faster
> optimized versions of the hash algorithms into python.  I'll be
> disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Sad as it sounds, it appears you just did half of the work, then
(omitting the Windows build process).

> hashlib passes its test suite with our without openssl.  If I make the
> windows project file updates to simply build and include _hashlib.pyd
> in the windows installer what harm is that going to cause?

None, if you do it correctly (where correctly includes AMD64 and IA64
builds), add text to PCbuild/readme.txt, and edit msi.py properly.

That is, assuming hashlib then still works correctly on Windows (which
is hard to tell).

> IMHO the
> windows python 2.5 build as it is is missing a feature by not
> including this.

Wrong incantation :-) We are in feature freeze now, so adding a feature
is a big no-no. You should have argued this is a bug <0.5 wink>.

Regards,
Martin