[Python-Dev] openSSL and windows binaries - license

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 8 21:18:36 CEST 2006

Jim Jewett schrieb:
> The OpenSSL library implements some algorithms that are patented.  The
> source code should be fine to (re)distribute, but but there may be a
> slight legal risk with distributing a binary.

I don't want to change the build process in that way (i.e. dropping a
feature) just before a release. I personally don't think there is a risk
distributing the code (if there was, distribution of OpenSSL would also
be a risk); anybody /using/ a patented algorithm would violate the
patent. I am not a lawyer, so if you want to know for sure, ask one.

If you think it's necessary, a note could be added to the readme. Would
you like to create a patch?

Regards,
Martin