[Python-Dev] What is the status of file.readinto?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 13 00:24:31 CEST 2006

Alexander Belopolsky schrieb:
> I know that it is a subject of an annual discussion, but since I could
> not find any mention of it in the last year, let me ask this question
> again: why is file.readinto "Undocumented"? It is quite useful,
> particularly with numpy.
>
> Would a patch adding "readinto" to StringIO be acceptable?

You mean, whether it would be accepted? Depends on the patch.
Or are you asking whether it would be accepted now? Definitely
not; no new features are allowed for Python 2.5.

readinto was documented as undocumented here

r23251 | tim_one | 2001-09-20 09:55:22 +0200 (Do, 20 Sep 2001) | 3 lines

SF bug [#463093] File methods need doc strings.
Now they don't.

I can only guess why it may go away; my guess it will go away when
the buffer interface is removed from Python (then it becomes
unimplementable).

Regards,
Martin