[Python-Dev] Arlington VA sprint on Sept. 23

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Aug 15 00:21:34 CEST 2006

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> The CanDo group continues to have sprints in Arlington, so we may as
> well continue to piggyback on their space.  The next one will be
> Saturday Sept. 23; sign up at
> <http://wiki.python.org/moin/ArlingtonSprint>.
>
> If the PEP 356 plan holds, Python 2.5 will have been released a week
> and a half before.  I plan to work on the bug/patch backlog (try
> searching for the Python 2.3 bugs on SF and see how many open bugs
> there are).

Once we do have a new tracker system, it would be a Good Thing[tm]
to go through all the bugs, patches and RFE, and try to get them
properly categorized: we'd have to

* merge duplicates (also bug + patch duplicates caused by the current
   split trackers)
* assign a realistic priority
* assign a realistic milestone
* flag RFE patches as RFE ("patch" shouldn't be a category on its own)
* try to reproduce if bug is quite old
* close old bugs which can't be reproduced or refer to obscure platforms
* close RFEs and patches which have no chance of going in (there are many
   patches on SF having one or two "-1" comments, is anyone ever going to
   check them in without a python-dev discussion?)

Quite a lot of work, but with a fair amount of volunteers it should be
doable and cut the number of open issues to under 1000.

Georg