[Python-Dev] Arlington VA sprint on Sept. 23

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 03:59:46 CEST 2006

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 14 August 2006 18:21, Georg Brandl wrote:
>  > * flag RFE patches as RFE ("patch" shouldn't be a category on its own)
>
> This is something Martin and I have disagreed over in the past.  Martin has
> indicated that he'd rather see the patches as separate artifacts rather than
> as attachments to a bug report, while I'd rather see them attached to the
> relevant bug report or feature request.
>
> My thought is that it's easier to deal with fewer items in the tracker.
> Keeping the candidate patches with the bug report or feature request makes
> them readily accessible to a reviewer.  It's not the only way.

I'd rather see this as a "has patch" flag, similar to "is RFE", rather than
completely separate trackers. A patch will be aimed at addressing either an
RFE or a bug fix - so long as people can filter out the tracker items with
patches attached to find things to review, it makes sense to me to keep the
patch with the tracker item it addresses.

Another useful categorization would be "what skills are needed to address this
item" - Python coding, C coding or documentation writing (although this is
covered to some degree by the existing categories, it may not always be obvious).

Cheers,
Nick.