[Python-Dev] no remaining issues blocking 2.5 release

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Aug 15 18:17:29 CEST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg schrieb:
>> I find it important to maintain distutils compatibility with
>> a few Python versions back. Even if I can't volunteer to
>> maintain distutils, like Martin suggested, due to lack of time,
>> I don't really see the requirement to use the latest and greatest
>> Python features in distutils, so preserving compatibility
>> with the commonly used Python versions wouldn't hurt.
>
> Actually, it would. bdist_msi uses extension modules which
> are only available in 2.5.

bdist_msi is only a small part of distutils. While it would
be great to have that distribution format for 2.3 and 2.4 as well,
I don't think it's vital.

It's simply a feature that is only available when using
Python 2.5.

> Keeping support for the
> compiler-recognizing code in msvccompiler also hurts.

I guess that's something to tell Microsoft ;-)

However, I don't see that as argument for dropping the
distutils support for Python versions prior to 2.5.

> It's either an official feature, with somebody maintaining it,
> or people should expect to break it anytime.

I'll let you know when things break - is that good enough ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 15 2006)