[Python-Dev] [wwwsearch-general] 2.5: recently introduced sgmllib regexp bug hangs Python

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Aug 17 04:13:06 CEST 2006

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, John J Lee wrote:
[...]
> If nobody has time to fix this, perhaps rev 47154 should be reverted?

I should have put it more strongly: I think it *should* in fact be
reverted if nobody has time to fix it before the release candidate / final
release of 2.5.  The revision in question is the most recent commit to
sgmllib.py and certainly appears completely localised to that module.
And a hung interpreter is worse than failing to parse some HTML, IMHO.

[...]
> commit message for -r47154:
>
> """
> SF bug #1504333: sgmlib should allow angle brackets in quoted values
> (modified patch by Sam Ruby; changed to use separate REs for start and end
>  tags to reduce matching cost for end tags; extended tests; updated to
> avoid
>  breaking previous changes to support IPv6 addresses in unquoted attribute
>  values)
> """
[...]