[Python-Dev] ctypes and win64

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Sun Aug 20 08:05:39 CEST 2006

On 8/19/06, Jack Diederich <jack at psynchronous.com> wrote:

> It has always "just worked" for me on Opterons + Debian.
> Python 2.4 (#1, May 31 2005, 10:19:45)
> [GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-12)] on linux2
> 9223372036854775807

While that's certainly useful behaviour, it isn't exactly the same thing as
the 64-bit support in Python 2.5. 64-bit longs have always worked (as Tim
said, CPython is good C), but large parts of CPython were using ints instead
of longs -- and I'm fairly certain there are still quite a few bugs with
container types and more than 31-bits worth of elements. (I say that because
I found more than I hoped for, writing the bigmem tests a few months back.
And those tests only consider bytestrings, lists and tuples.) So, while
sys.maxint doesn't change, and any container with sane amounts of elements
will almost certainly work (one would hope that's tested enough by now),
real-world code that actually uses, say, more than 100Gb worth of memory in
a single container may still break. Unless we write more bigmem tests :>

Luxury-problem-anyone?'ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!