[Python-Dev] PEP 362 open issues

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Thu Aug 24 01:13:54 CEST 2006

Brett Cannon wrote:
> I have been spending my Google sprint time on writing and implementing
> PEP 362 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0362/), which finally
> defines Signature objects for functions.  With the implementation at a
> place I am happy with, I wanted to ask about the open issues with the PEP.

While reading the PEP, I stumbled over the description of the bind() method.

As I understand the implementation patch, the parameter names will be keys and
the arguments values in the resulting dictionary, but this sentence looks to
me as if it describes it the opposite way (it also doesn't clarify that
"parameter" means "parameter name"):

* bind(*args, **kwargs) -> dict
     Create a mapping from argument to parameter for the signature (see
     `Open Issues`_ for question of how to handle tuples).

Another question: could it be helpful to make Parameter.default_value a
weak reference?

Georg