[Python-Dev] draft of patch guidelines

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Aug 25 06:41:37 CEST 2006

On 8/24/06, Chad Whitacre <chad at zetaweb.com> wrote:

> Brett,
>
> > Below is a draft for a set of patch guidelines.
>
> Thanks for getting around to this!

Welcome.

> Wait for a developer to contact you
> > ===================================
> >
> > At this point you need to wait for a Python developer to come along
> > and look at your patch.  This might be a while as all Python
> > developers are volunteers and thus have a limited amount of time.  Do
> > not be surprised if it takes weeks or more before your patch is
> > examined.
> >
> > There is a standing offer that if you review five other patches (by
> > commenting on its correctness, helping it meet these guidelines,
> > etc.), then a developer will definitely have a look at any patch you
> > specify.  Just email python-dev with what five patches you reviewed
> > (and what you did for the review) and the patch you want examined.
>

> May I suggest the following wording for this section? This is basically
> the feedback I found most helpful a few weeks ago; it's more specific
> about how notification and the 5-for-1 rule work.

> most core Python developers subscribe to. But remember that Open Source
> runs on volunteerism and meritocracy. If you are a new Python
> contributor, then your patch may languish for weeks or more before
> anyone volunteers a response.
>
> Python addresses this barrier to entry with a "5-for-1 rule." Pick five
> other patches or bugs, try to apply or reproduce them, and then report
> your results back to the tracker. Then, send a note to python-dev
> listing the five you reviewed and the patch id of your own patch, and
> one of Python's "patch angels" will get the ball rolling on your patch.

most core Python developers subscribe to of the creation of your new
patch. But remember that Open Source runs on volunteerism and
meritocracy. Your patch may languish for weeks or more before anyone
volunteers a response because of limited time on the part of Python
developers.

Python addresses this barrier to entry with a "5-for-1 rule." Pick
five other patches or bugs, review them, and then report your results
back to the tracker. Then, send a note to python-dev listing the five
you reviewed and the patch id of your own patch, and a Python
developer will take a look at your patch.

-Brett