[Python-Dev] Removing anachronisms from logging module

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Aug 26 00:46:49 CEST 2006

I prefer to focus on "clearer" and "less error-prone" rather than
"faster" in most cases.

I do agree it's a minor embarrassment that s.startswith(t) is slower
than s[:len(t)]==t; but I think we should make startswith() faster
rather than recommending the other idiom.

(Also, for longer substrings startswith wins -- but admittedly rather
long, like 300 chracters.)

--Guido