[Python-Dev] Doc suggestion for Elementtree (for 2.5? a bit late, I know...)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Aug 29 06:36:05 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:
>

>>The ElementTree module comes in two forms - a pure-python version
>>(xml.etree.ElementTree) and a C-coded implementation
>>(xml.etree.cElementTree) which is faster.
>

> If this is to be in the stdlib, is there any chance
> of tidying up the convoluted, uninituitive and
> non-pep8-compliant module naming structure?

I'm guessing the answer is "no" since the objection was only raised when
the code had been incorporated into a release candidate. It was probably
"no" from the beginning given that there was already substantial usage
of the code before it was adopted for the stdlib.

Standards, apparently, are for *other* people :-)

It would be good if 3.0 was *much* more hard-nosed about naming
conventions. How can we expect the community as a whole to take them
seriously if we don't take them seriously ourselves?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119