[Python-Dev] Py2.5 issue: decimal context manager misimplemented, misdesigned, and misdocumented

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 12:08:36 CEST 2006

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> The right way to do it was presented in PEP343.  The implementation was
> correct and the API was simple.

Raymond's persuaded me that he's right on the API part at the very least. The
current API was a mechanical replacement of the initial __context__ based API
with a normal method, whereas I should have reverted back to the module-level
localcontext() function from PEP343 and thrown the method on Context objects
away entirely.

I can fix it on the trunk (and add those missing tests!), but I'll need
Anthony and/or Neal's permission to backport it and remove the get_manager()
method from Python 2.5 before we get stuck with it forever.

Cheers,
Nick.