[Python-Dev] a feature i'd like to see in python #2: indexing of match objects

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 3 19:38:21 CET 2006

Aahz schrieb:
>>> this one is fairly simple.  if `m' is a match object, i'd like to be
>>> able to write m[1] instead of m.group(1). (similarly, m[:] should return
>>> the same as list(m.groups()).) this would remove some of the verbosity
>>> of regexp code, with probably a net gain in readability; certainly no loss.
>> Please post a patch to sf.net/projects/python (or its successor).
>
> Given the list of issues and subsequent discussion so far, I think a PEP
> will be required.  This needs more documentation than the typical patch.

I disagree. So far, nobody has spoken against the proposed feature. It's
really a small addition of a new method to an existing type. Entire
classes have been added to the standard library without a PEP. People
can still criticize the patch when its posted (and it's not clear that
the OP is even willing to produce a patch).

Regards,
Martin