[Python-Dev] LSB: pyc stability

Neil Toronto ntoronto at cs.byu.edu
Mon Dec 4 20:21:27 CET 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Brett Cannon schrieb:
>
>> Did they say why they wanted to distribute  bytecode files?  I assume it
>> is either for space considerations or they think it will help to protect
>> their IP somehow.
>>

> It's to protect the IP (i.e. for proprietary software). They are aware
> of decompyle, but still consider byte-code only distribution of their
> code necessary for protection.

It sounds like a trade secret issue. You have to take reasonable
measures to protect trade secrets in order for them to be legally
recognized as such. I wouldn't be surprised if compiling to bytecode
counts. There are similar provisions in copyright due to the DMCA (which
seems to require nothing stronger than, say, ROT26), but I don't think
this is the right context for that.

Space considerations shouldn't be much of an issue, since you can (and
should in many cases) distribute your code in a ZIP file, and code
compresses quite well. Can Python import modules from encrypted ZIP
files? That'd be an interesting way to protect a trade secret, and
probably safer (in the courts) than distributing bytecode.

Neil