[Python-Dev] LSB: Selection of a Python version

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 06:02:15 CET 2006

On 12/5/06, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:

> > So I think a public statement that we will support 2.4 with
> > security patches for a while longer (and perhaps with security
> > patches *only*) would be a good thing - independent of the LSB,
> > actually.
>
> Well, I don't know what sort of public statement you want to issue,
> but will this do? (Wearing my release manager hat)

I think we should document our intentions in the release PEP (or some
other PEP possibly).  Should we state that we will support version x.y
for N years after initial release or based on version numbers such as
x.(y-N) where y is the current version and N is a small number?

I'd prefer the time based approach because it seems much more common.
For reference here are some release dates:

2.2: 2001-12-21
2.3: 2003-07-29
2.4: 2004-11-30

If we stopped supporting 2.3, that would mean we support for 2-3 years.