[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] MSI being downloaded 10x more than all other files?!

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue Dec 12 00:59:25 CET 2006

On 11:17 pm, guido at python.org wrote:
>On 12/11/06, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/8/06, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> > /ftp/python/2.5/python-2.5.msi is by far the top download -- 271,971
>> > hits, more than 5x the next one, /ftp/python/2.5/Python-2.5.tgz
>> > (47,898 hits). Are these numbers real?
>>
>> Why wouldn't it be?
>
>Just because in the past the ratio of downloads for a particular
>version was always about 70% Windows vs. 30% source. Now it seems
>closer to 90/10.

Personally speaking, since switching to Ubuntu, I've been so happy with the speed of releases and the quality of packaged Python that I haven't downloaded a source release from python.org in over a year.  If I need packages, they're already installed.  If I need source from a release, I 'apt-get source' to conveniently install it from a (very fast) ubuntu mirror.  When I need something outside the Ubuntu release structure, it's typically an SVN trunk checkout, not a release tarball.

I don't know what Ubuntu's impact in the general user community has been, but it seems that the vast majority of python developers I interact with on a regular basis have switched.  I wouldn't be surprised if this were a major part of the impact.