[Python-Dev] ctypes patch (was: (libffi) Re: Copyright issue)

Hye-Shik Chang hyeshik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:44:13 CET 2006

On 1/30/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Hye-Shik Chang wrote:
> > I did some work to make ctypes+libffi compacter and liberal.
> > http://openlook.org/svnpublic/ctypes-compactffi/  (svn)
> >
> > I removed sources/gcc and put sources/libffi copied from gcc 4.0.2.
> > And removed all automake-related build processes and integrated
> > them into setup.py. There's still aclocal.m4 in sources/libffi. But
> > it is just identical to libffi's acinclude.m4 which looks liberal.
>
> Well done! Would you like to derive a Python patch from that?
> Don't worry about MSVC, yet, I will do that once the sources
> are in the subversion.

Here goes patches for the integration:

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~perky/ctypesinteg-f1.diff.bz2
[2] http://people.freebsd.org/~perky/ctypesinteg-f2.diff.bz2

I implemented it in two flavors.  [1] runs libffi's configure along with
Python's and setup.py just builds it.  And [2] has no change to
Python's configure and setup.py runs libffi configure and builds it.
And both patches don't have things for documentations yet.

> (Of course, for due process, it would be better if this code gets
> integrated into the official ctypes first, and then we incorporate
> some named/versioned snapshot into /external, and svn cp it into
> python/trunk from there).

Thomas and I collaborated on integration into the ctypes repository
and testing on various platforms yesterday.  My patches for Python
are derived from ctypes CVS with a change of only one line.

Hye-Shik