[Python-Dev] any support for a methodcaller HOF?

Eric Nieuwland eric.nieuwland at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 4 20:17:15 CET 2006

Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> I believe that usage of a keyword with the name of a Greek letter also
>> contributes to people considering something broken.
>
> Aye, I agree there are serious problems with the current syntax. All
> I'm
> trying to say above is that I don't believe the functionality itself
> is broken.

Lambda is not broken, it's restricted to  single calculation and
therefore of limited use.
Although I wasn't too serious (should had added more signs of that), an
anonymous 'def' would allow to use the full power of method definition.

> At last count, Guido's stated preference was to ditch the functionality
> entirely for Py3k, so unless he says something to indicate he's
> changed his
> mind, we'll simply need to continue with proposing functions like
> methodcaller() as workarounds for its absence...

Yep, we'll just have to learn to live without it. :-( / ;-)

--eric