[Python-Dev] Let's just *keep* lambda

Morel Xavier xavier.morel at masklinn.net
Sun Feb 5 19:43:04 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> After so many attempts to come up with an alternative for lambda,
> perhaps we should admit defeat. I've not had the time to follow the
> most recent rounds, but I propose that we keep lambda, so as to stop
> wasting everybody's talent and time on an impossible quest.

The inline anonymous `def` isn't as ugly/problematic as the block (block
anonymous def) version, and could probably work better than lambda, I
think (a bit more verbose, but at least it doesn't feel like a castrated
function definition, is more coherent with the existing function
definition syntax, and accepts more than a single statement... well that
last part probably isn't a pro arguments...).

Couldn't it be enabled (as an inline construct only) to replace the
current lambda?